Vertigo - How Can My Chiropractor Help Me?
Vertigo is a sense of spinning or dizziness. It can make you feel off balance, like you are going to fall. Most causes of vertigo are linked to the inner ear, but some causes have been linked to other things. Depending on the cause, your Chiropractor, like the doctors at Reed Chiropractic Center in Solon, OH, can help you. Let's take a look at some symptoms and causes, and then we will explain how an experienced Chiropractor can help.
What Are the Symptoms of Vertigo?
- A spinning dizziness
- Feeling like you are in motion
- Feeling like you are being pulled in one direction
- Problems with balance
- Ringing in the ears
- Nausea and vomiting
Definition: The vestibular nerve in the inner ear sends information to the brain that determines our equilibrium. Any damage to or misinformation sent by this nerve to the brain will make us feel dizzy and off balance.
What Causes Vertigo?
There are a variety of conditions that can cause you to feel the effects of vertigo. We will list a few that deal with the inner ear.
- Inflammation caused by an infection: Inflammation in the inner ear can affect the vestibular nerve.
- Inflammation of the vestibular nerve: The nerve itself that runs through your inner ear can get infected and become inflamed.
- Buildup of fluid: Fluid can build up in the inner ear, causing pressure changes. This can lead to hearing loss, a ringing in the ears, and vertigo.
- Added skin growth: Sometimes, because of repeated infections, extra skin may start to grow in the middle ear. If it grows large enough, it can cause damage to the ear. Hearing loss and dizziness will be the result.
- Calcium buildup: Calcium particles can build up in the inner ear, leading to balance issues.
In addition to inner ear causes, an injury to your neck and head can cause the symptoms of vertigo.
How Does a Chiropractor Treat Vertigo?
Depending on the cause of your vertigo, there are a few techniques that chiropractors use to treat it.
- Spinal adjustments: If you were in an automobile accident or had some other trauma to your head or neck before symptoms of vertigo started, then spinal adjustments may solve your problem. Your chiropractor will make sure that your spine is in proper alignment. After only a few adjustments, the symptoms of vertigo may all disappear.
- Epley maneuver: This technique helps to clear built-up debris and particles out of the inner ear. These particles cause the vestibular nerve to send false information to the brain about your position.
- Targeted manipulation: Even if you have not had an accident, you still may have alignment issues with you neck. This misalignment can cause dizziness. Your chiropractor will target joints that are not moving properly.
- Non-physical treatment: Diets, habits, and medications have been linked to causing vertigo. Your chiropractor will discuss these with you and make suggestions as part of a complete health treatment.
Your Local Chiropractors in Solon, OH, Can Help You
The skilled doctors at the Reed Chiropractic Clinic in Solon, OH, can help you determine the cause of your vertigo. Then, we will work with you on a treatment to get you back to a healthier lifestyle. Call us or come by for a visit and let us help you to restore your balance.